Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Oceana Job Opportunity-Campaign Organizer
Campaign Organizer – Climate and Energy Campaign
Join the only international nonprofit dedicated solely to protecting and restoring the
world’s oceans. Oceana’s campaigns are directed at achieving measurable policy
changes to prevent the irreversible collapse of ocean life. Results are achieved
through science, law, advocacy, organizing public support, and communications.
Manages campaign in Miami to stop expanded offshore oil and gas drilling and to
promote action on climate change in local, national, and international forums. Builds
public engagement on offshore drilling and renewable energy. With direction from
Campaign Manager, works independently to execute a campaign plan and carries out
the tasks necessary to meet campaign objectives. Tracks timelines, and reports on
progress to Campaign Manager. Manages a varied and high volume workload and
requires initiative to work on own to meet deadlines and accomplish tasks. This
position will be temporary.
Principal duties and responsibilities include:
1. Build a broad, effective campaign including, but not limited to, grassroots
coalition building, earned and paid media acquisition, legislative advocacy, science,
public engagement, repeat volunteerism, and development of a self-sustaining and
continuing foundation of support.
2. Execute the campaign in conjunction with a team of professionals. This will
include working with other field staff, on-line activists, legislative and
communications professionals, vendors, consultants and others.
3. Regularly report on progress of the campaign, and lead the charge for
overcoming obstacles to ensure goals and objectives are met.
4. Perform additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
1. At least 2 years of campaign experience, with at least one in a management
position. This should include experience engaging volunteers and building a
foundation of support for a policy outcome.
2. Demonstrated success building, and cultivating new relationships in a way
that persuades individuals to support the organization’s agenda and generates
3. A proven track record in grassroots field organizing and public speaking.
4. Experience in coordinating media relations.
5. A track record of being detail oriented, with good organizational skills and
6. Demonstrated initiative to self-motivate, to work with diverse communities,
serve as a team leader, and achieve Oceana’s goals.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to multi-task.
8. Computer literacy, particularly with Microsoft Office applications.
9. An ability to work well with others.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Campaign
Organizer – Climate and Energy Campaign in the subject line. Check out our website
www.oceana.org to learn more about who we are and what we do. EOE.