City of Coconut Creek
PUBLIC WORKS - RECYCLING INTERN
Classification: Paid internship - temporary employee.
Work involves participation in outreach campaigns to maximize program efforts which includes participation in various special projects/events and assisting with the development of outreach tools. Work includes the development, implementation, and maintenance of single-family, commercial, and multi-family recycling programs.
This is field and office work in the development and promotion of city-wide single-stream recycling programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Meets with representatives of home owner associations, commercial establishments and multi-family complexes to promote interest and participation in single-stream recycling program; assists with program implementation, promotion, and monitoring.
- Responsible for project assignments, research, and analysis.
- Conducts waste audits by observing the source, creation, and final storage methodology of the waste product.
- Educates community groups, businesses, and residents about single-stream recycling through presentations at public meetings, schools, and special events.
- Addresses single-stream contamination issues through outreach and education.
- Investigates and documents complaints received from residents, businesses, and contractors.
- Provides program support and measures participation through field/phone surveys and other administrative functions.
- Assists in the development of educational and outreach tools.
- Prepares field activity reports and other reports and forms associated with recycling activities.
- Performs related work as required.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- Must be currently enrolled in a college/university with a major in Public
Administration, Business Administration, Environmental Science, or related field.
- Must possess a valid State of Florida driver's license with a good driving
record. (If the driver's license was issued by a state other than Florida, a State of Florida driver's license is required prior to employment.)
- Must be able to work flexible work schedule.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the intern to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an intern will encounter while performing the essential functions of this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, you will frequently be required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. This position may frequently be required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, walk, sit, talk, or hear. You may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this position, you may frequently work near moving mechanical or electrical parts. The noise level in the work environment is rarely noisy.
For more information or to apply contact:
City of Coconut Creek
Position open until filled.